If you were recently arrested and charged with driving under the influence (DUI) in Omaha, Nebraska, the most important step you can take to protect your rights and your future is to retain the services of an experienced Omaha DUI lawyer. Like many first-time DUI defendants, however, you may have never before needed the services of a criminal defense attorney. Consequently, you may have no idea how to find the right Omaha DUI lawyer for you. To get you started, an Omaha DUI lawyer has provided some tips to help you choose the right attorney for you and your needs.
- Consider how you want your case handled first. Not every defendant’s goal is to avoid a conviction. Some defendants know they cannot avoid a conviction or don’t want to take the risk of a trial. When that is the case, the goal is to negotiate the best guilty plea agreement possible under the circumstances without giving much consideration to taking the case to trial. For other defendants, avoiding a conviction is more important and, therefore, they are prepared to risk a trial. If you are already sure how you want to handle your case it can help you to choose the right criminal defense attorney for your case because some lawyers focus more on negotiating plea agreements and others focus more on taking cases to trial.
- Seek referrals. While it is understandable that you may be reluctant to disclose the details of your arrest with friends, family members, and/or co-workers, doing so may be beneficial in your search for an attorney. Often, the people you know end up being the best source for a referral. Most people have either been charged with driving under the influence themselves or have a close friend or family member who has at some point in time. Try to put aside your embarrassment at your situation long enough to ask about referrals because someone who has had first-hand experienced with a defense attorney is really your best source of information.
- Check local, state, and national Bar associations. Bar associations are another excellent resource when looking for the right attorney. For example, the Omaha Bar Association offers a lawyer referral service Likewise, the Nebraska Bar Association also has an attorney directory that may be of assistance.
- Research online. Never rely entirely on what you read on an attorney’s website when deciding on which attorney is the right attorney for you and your situation; however, in today’s electronic age it is rare to find an attorney without an extensive internet presence so why not make use of that fact? You should be able to find out a wealth of information about a prospective attorney by perusing his/her website and spending some time surfing the internet. Look for an attorney whose practice is clearly focused on DUI defense work because just as you would not go to a dermatologist if you had cancer, you should not hire an attorney who handles primarily personal injury cases if you have been charged with driving under the influence.
- Interview attorneys. Most attorneys offer free, or low cost, initial consultations. Take advantage of this is you are not sure who to hire at this point. Keep in mind though that you may have a limited amount of time to talk to the attorney given that the consultation is free so come prepared and make the most of your time. Have a list of questions typed out and ready so you don’t forget anything important or get side-tracked during your consultations. If you have any paperwork from your case, bring that to the appointments as well. Ask each attorney pointed questions such as whether they see any defense options or what type of plea agreement they think you might get if they represent you. Pay attention as well, however, to your comfort level with the attorney because you are, to some extent, placing your life in this person’s hands. You want an attorney who is both competent and with whom you feel you can develop a positive attorney-client relationship.
Contact an Omaha DUI Lawyer at Petersen Law Office
If you have been arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) in the State of Nebraska, it is always in your best interest to consult directly with a DUI defense attorney about the specific facts and circumstances of your case. Contact the Nebraska DUI lawyers at Petersen Law Office 24 hours a day at 402-513-2180 to discuss your case with an experienced DUI defense lawyer.
Latest posts by Tom Petersen (see all)
- 5 Reasons Why You Need an Omaha DUI Attorney - September 18, 2018
- What Punishment Am I Facing If I Caused a Fatal DUI Crash in Nebraska? - September 14, 2018
- Will a DUI Conviction in Another State Count Against Me in Nebraska If I Get Arrested for DUI? - September 6, 2018